I'm going on vacation. How do I ensure my holds don't become ready while I'm gone?
You can suspend a hold so it does not become available for checkout while you are unable to pick it up. When you suspend a hold, you continue to move up in the hold list, but the hold will not be filled for you until the date you specify (or later if you have not reached the top of the holds list or a copy has not become available yet).
For physical titles:
- Visit metrolibrary.org and click My Account at the top.
- In the window that pops up, enter all 8 digits of your library card number (if your card number has less than 8 digits, add enough zeros to the front of your number until it is 8 digits long) or if your card number starts with ecard, enter that word along with the 7 trailing digits. The password will be your full last name.
- Click View Holds. To suspend individual items: click Suspend Until and choose the date on which you would like to reactivate your holds. To suspend multiple items: select the check box to the right of each title, and then click Suspend Until at the top right. To suspend all of your holds: click the check box at the top right next to Cancel Hold and then click Suspend Until.
For digital titles from OverDrive:
- Visit metrolibrary.overdrive.com.
- Click the 3 books icon at the top and then enter all 8 digits of your library card number (if your card number has less than 8 digits, add enough zeros to the front of your number until it is 8 digits long) or if your card number starts with ecard, enter that word along with the 7 trailing digits. The password will be your full last name.
- Click on Holds.
- For the hold you wish to suspend, click the Suspend hold link button and in the prompt that appears, select the length of time for which you wish to suspend the hold and then click Suspend.
NOTE: If you want to cancel or change the date on the suspension, revisit your holds list and click Re-activate under the title to cancel your suspension or Change next to the date to edit the date.
Starting the week of March 2, 2020, you will also be able to suspend digital holds after receiving the notification that they are available for checkout. Once you receive the notification one of your holds is available, you can:
- Borrow the title within 3 days
- Suspend the hold by selecting “deliver later.” This option passes the book to the next person in line while maintaining your place on the wait list. After the suspension period you set is over, you will be able to borrow the book when the next copy is available.
- Cancel the hold.
If you take no action, the hold will automatically be suspended as a one-time courtesy for 7 days. If no action is taken a second time, the hold will be cancelled automatically.